Friday, March 21, 2008

My Drug of Choice

It's been a rough week. We all have those now and then, so what do we do about it? The only thing we really can do is find a way to cope.

The first coping skill I usually turn to is to pretend that everything is fine and smile my way through the day. Then, when I can, I retreat to a quiet place (my bed) to think or sleep it off.

Next, I turn to food. Food has a calming effect on me. Sometimes it's sugar. Other times fried food. And, when my tummy gets too full, I try the sleeping thing again.

BUT, my all-time favorite way to cope is something I can only do when it's warm outside and someone can stay with my kids. I RUN! I run away. I run and run and I concentrate on my breathing and my posture and pretty soon I'm relaxed and numb. I feel hypnotized by the rhythm of my shoes pounding on the pavement and the pulsing lungs in my chest. I feel the cool wind in my hair and the warm sun on my skin and I am free.

Exercise can be an effective way of coping. The endorphines your body produces burn off stress and give you a burst of happy energy. Afterward, you'll likely feel great that you got up and did something good for your body and your mind.

How do you cope?

6 comments:

burkitos said...

I clean and clean and clean and in the nice weather I garden. Things to keep my body moving.

I am a mother! said...

hmmmmmmm....that's a good question. I used to turn to food asap...self medicating myself with ice cream and brownies...anything that would make me feel better and give me that momentary pleasure I needed.

Lately I have been working on coping in more healthy ways. Among my favorites are:

*taking a nice warm bath, lying in the water and breathing deeply is very effective.
*watching a movie and traveling to someplace better....like Avonlea or Permberly.
*reading a book to take me to another world
*Exercising is probably one of my favorites now. You are right...it gives you such a natural high.
*I also like attacking my problem and analyzing it from every angle. Thinking of every possible way to solve it and trying to fix it some how. I know though that not all problems can be solved this way...
*Playing the piano (esp. church music)and singing
*I used to LOVE horseback riding. Galloping with the wind in your face is such an exhilarating feeling. I lack a horse right now though...
* prayer...you know that balling, begging, crying kind that leaves you feeling better even though nothing has really changed. My favorite place to do this is in the bath tub or in the car.
*scripture study

I want to learn how to do deep breathing exercises and meditation/yoga type things too.

K-That was probably more than you wanted to know :)

JoMamma said...

You really made me want to be more healthy. I'm not very good at dealing with things. I usually turn to food, play some loud music, or blow up. My poor family. I need to fall in love with running. I have never focused on the details. I'll have to give that a try.

Unknown said...

I wish you can do some of the running for me. I personally do the following when I feel a bit down: sleep, read, eat then repeat. Actually, I do those when I am happy too. Maybe that's when I usually don't accomplish much in a day! :-)

Peggy Eddleman said...

I usually talk to a friend on the phone. But your way sounds so appealing! It actually makes me want to run to experience that myself! And making me actually want to run is quite the accomplishment.

i'm erin. said...

I cope by calling my friend...oh wait, that doesn't work when the friend doesn't pick up the phone! So I cope by waiting at home and hoping that my other friend who is coping will come by on her run and pick me up to go running too...hint!

I love you!
erin