Thursday, March 06, 2008

HE DID IT!!!

...And then he said, "I can't blieve I did it! I'm so plouda myself!"

For the last 4 1/2 years once and even two or three times a day, we've been crushing pills and mixing them in a little raspberry syrup. At first it seemed like so much work, smashing the pills between two spoons. Plus, some meds aren't meant to be crushed either because they don't work as well or are too harsh on the stomach lining and , in the case of chemo pills, there is the danger of inhaling the dust.

Though it's not ideal, we've done it anyway, because it was the only way to do it with a 2-year-old with a gag reflex. Over the years we've tried to teach him how to swallow a mini-M&M or take a pill with a bite of pudding, but never with success and always with a fight and crying fest.

Today was a big surprise. I try so hard to get to work a bit early or at least on time, but something always seems to come up. In my rush to give Logan a $14 anti-nausea pill this morning, I asked him if he thought he might be able to swallow the tiny pill. What was I thinking? If it didn't work, not only would I have a gagging, crying little boy on my hands, but I'd also have a soggy, expensive pill. What possessed me, I don't know, but he made a face then promptly put the pill in his mouth.

The pill tasted bad, so right away he took it out and said he didn't think he could do it. We walked to the kitchen while I suggested we put it in a bite of yogurt. I opened the refrigerator door and Logan took his half-filled cup of chocolate milk out. He put that pill in his mouth, then swallowed it down with a swish of milk! I wish I had a picture. The look on his face was a mixture of shock, amazement and delight! He went straight to Julian's room to annouce the big news, then downstairs to tell daddy. What a moment!

5 comments:

burkitos said...

WooHoo Logan!!!!

Amy said...

That is so exciting!!! Way to go Logan. This will make life a little easier!

i'm erin. said...

Logan you ROCK! (I am making the fist of rock in your honor right now). I remember the first time I could swallow pills and seriously I wasn't even in grade school I was in JUNIOR HIGH!

Unknown said...

Good job Logan!I hate swallowing meds, especially when they don't have the sugar coating on it.

Shelby said...

This is a huge milestone!! Well done Logan!!