Sunday, April 20, 2008

No word in our language can describe it.

Have you ever known or seen something that causes such an intense pain in your chest over your heart that you start to have difficulty breathing?

I've been following Robin's story for about 6 months now. She is from California. She was diagnosed with luekemia (AML) two and a half years ago. Her sister quit her job to help her. Robin had 2 bone marrow transplants. At the end she participated in experimental studies at a hopital in Texas. She has an abiding faith in Jesus Christ and a strong, positive spirit. She was an inspiration to many people.

When I read the latest news on her website a week ago Friday, I sat in wonder, though not entirely surprised. I clicked on the link:
NEW Professional Photos Slideshow (new 2007-03-26) and stoically watched the beautiful images of this amazing woman (you can see her steroid cheeks even though she was very thin) and the family she loved so deeply that she clung to life to spend just one more month, one more week, one more day with them.

After the slideshow I broke down and sobbed great, heaving sobs for the people she left behind, including me. Today I tried to watch it again, but couldn't for the weighty pain and catching breath. After reading her obituary, I was comforted by the first line. "On April 11 our remarkable little Robin closed her big blue eyes to this world and flew home into the open arms of her Heavenly Father." What a beautiful image! Robin is someone I hope to meet. For now I'll be happy that she's free from pain and suffering and I'll hope the time will pass quickly until she meets her family and friends again!

Main Page with a letter from Robin, well worth reading.
http://www.robingroff.com/
Also, take a look and my 2 favorite posts in Robin's website guestbook.
Date Posted: 4/12/2008 Name: Tianne
Date Posted: 4/20/2008 Name: Heidi Bardsley
You can read Robin's recent updates and comments by clicking on http://www.robingroff.com/chronology.asp

2 comments:

kellieanne said...

Oh Cecilia, that was very touching. It never surprises me how each of our lives are intertwined and our views and actions have so much influence on each other, even those we have never met. I will make sure I kiss each of my children before I go to bed tonight and be extra grateful I have the blessing of still being here for them.

By the way, "Be Still My Soul" is my favorite hymn. The message has always given me comfort.

I am a mother! said...

Thank you for sharing that link Ceci. It took be a few days to even be brave enough to watch the picture show and read Robin's sweet letter. I would rather pretend like things like that don't happen to people...I guess it makes me feel "safe" like it will never happen to me but I know that none of us are "safe" from death of a loved one or friend. I am so grateful to know that families are eternal. What a wonderful comfort and blessing that testimony is!! Logan and your whole family are always in our prayers as you confront your own personal battles with Leukemia.