Sunday, June 29, 2008

LIFE IS SO FULL!!!

Wow, is summer break busy or what?

Julian learned to ride her bike!!! This is terrific because I've been trying to teach her for 3 summers now. All along I just wasn't doing a good job, because her awesome Burk Grandparents taught her in less than an hour and now she's a pro!
Here's Logan on his new bike. Mom, I need to pay you for that! Can't believe I forgot!
I took a geology class. The second day we took a VIP field trip of the Kenecott Copper Open Pit Mine and many of the factories that help to produce the copper as well as clean water and reclaim mined land. (Reminds me of a certain Burk Family Vacation...)

Can you see those little bumps toward the lower middle of the pic? They are dumptruck loads of crushed rock.

This is a tire that the dump trucks use, beautified by my friend Misha and I. I know. I look like a kook standing that way, but I'm not all the way used to my 'woman' body yet.

This is a shot of the dump truck compared to a semi-truck. Yeah. You read that right. A semi!
We had to wear hard hats, safety glasses and sometimes earplugs inside the plants. Don't we look swweeeeet?
The water treatment center recycles water. One stage in the process is the degasifier. Man, I could use one of those every now and then...
Here's the tail end of the conveyor belt that brings the crushed rock to the plant that processes it to retrieve the precious metals. It's about 3 miles long and goes mainly undergound. What a ride that'd be!

Here the metals are removed as they float on top of the bubbles of treated water. Miners' wives first figured out how to do this when they'd wash their husbands mining clothes! Here's the control center for the operation of this plant. "We have lift-off!"

Eventually, the copper collects into plate form by cathodes and anodes and is shipped all over the world. There's more, but I'm sure that was more than you bargained for! Ü



On June 19th Logan had surgery to remove his port. After we checked in, we waited.


After we waited, we were moved to a examination room where we waited some more and then met with the surgeon. Logan changed into his hospital clothing and we moved to another waiting room.


He looked like this through our watery eyes as he walked away chatting with the anesthesiologist.


Jarid, Julian and I waited in a yet another waiting room for him to come out of surgery and be moved into post-op. He wasn't very happy coming out of the anesthesia, but it was a wonderful step in the cancer process!


We couldn't keep his port because of new rules, but I took photos. It was bigger than I'd imagined. The big ones must be huge! If you look closely you can see marks where his port was accessed more than a hundred times!!


The day after Logan's surgery I took the kids, as I had promised, to the Strawberry Days Carnival. Logan wasn't allowed to ride the fast rides, but he still had fun. He's looking forward to Spanish Fork Days next months so he can ride the SpaceShip 2000!

Julian was a dare-devil and rode the Ring-Of-Fire all by herself, literally!


...And another crazy, twirly, upside-down ride. That's her in the upper right corner wearing orange! I miss my youth when I could ride without getting sick. Now all it takes is watching someone ride it!



So, now you have it! Some of the reasons I've been so busy! So much fun to be had and so little time to have it in. Make every moment count!

10 comments:

burkitos said...

I've been waiting for an update! VERY interesting field trip! Sounds like a good summer so far for everyone.

JoMamma said...

Not only do I feel like I'm all caught up with your busy summer, but I've learned new things. :)

burkitos said...

Hey, where is that lake? It is beautiful.

i'm erin. said...

wow, you have been a busy little bee. and you didn't post about the bake sale. The rice krispie treats were really good. Way to go Julian and Logan!

Kimmie said...

That is so cool that you just keep learning! It reminds me of Finding Nemo... Just keep learning, just keep learning!! You are awesome!

I am a mother! said...

Glad you are having a great summer with your family! Loved all the pictures and your new header pic.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Wow, what a great summer you have been having! Congrats again about Logan getting his port out. And thanks for the geology lesson! Oh, and tell Julian congratulations on learning how to ride a bike. Being the mom of kids that just don't dare to ride their bikes, I know what a huge accomplishment that can be!

kellieanne said...

Maybe that's how I need to update my blog - just get it all out there. Busy, busy, busy! Fun and interesting stuff.

Shelby said...

I'm always glad to hear about people's busy summers--then I don't have to feel guilty that we just lay around, never go anywhere, never do anything.....it's great!! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Peggy Eddleman said...

All right, Cecilia. On the one month anniversary of your current blog post, I feel compelled to beg you for a new post!