Tuesday, September 25, 2007

GUNS AND ROSES!!

Well...I've been sort of a blog-slacker lately, but I have NOT been a mom-slacker, wife-slacker or PE teacher-slacker. Life is hard work, you know! So, instead of cleaning the bathrooms, I'll take a break in blog world for a little while. :-)

A couple of Saturday's ago, I went to the Utah County Firearms range with my mom. This was a follow-up to a class that we'd taken the previous Thursday. It was for women only and it was called "Guns and Roses." During the class we were shown how to load and unload 3 hours worth of different types of guns. Now, you may not think this would be a very exciting class, but really...what would you do if you lived in Spanish Fark and your kid came home with a shotgun he found in the neighbor's barn. Man alive! You'd need to do something about it! So now I can, even though I don't expect it to happen in the civilized city of PG. Hahahahaha!

So, back to Saturday. We went up to the range near Thistle to practice loading shotguns. We also practiced unloading them mainly in the direction of bright orange clay pigeons which were launched into the air. Now, if this is something you've never done before, you are REALLY missing out!! With my adrenaline pumping and a sincere desire to be the best shooter in the group, I picked up that shotgun and I WAS WOMAN!!! I hit 4 out of the first 5 pigeons! Was it beginner's luck? IT WAS NOT!!! By the end of the morning both mom and I were inducted into the Five for Fivers group of elite women who could shoot a perfect five in a row. Pretty nifty, eh? We were even given roses and a clay pigeon memoir. :-) That's me in the first picture and mom in the second.



















So, if you don't know The Firearms Safety Rules or the difference between a clip and a magazine or that there are pump-action shotguns, break-actions shotguns, can't remember the other-action kind of shotgun, double barrelled and single-barrelled shotguns, as well as muzzle-loaders, hunting rifles, target rifles, sniper rifles, single-action and double-action revolvers, semi-automatics, etc. then maybe you should sign up for a class like this!

Plus, the scenery up there is fabulous this time of year!

4 comments:

burkitos said...

We did have a BLAST up there!!!
Mama

i'm erin. said...

celia, to be honest, I have to say that I fear you just a little bit now...well a lot...in fact, I wouldn't want to be alone with you on a mountian during the dear hunt, or any hunt.

hmm... what was the real reason for the gun safty class? what are you hunting? I will get to the bottom of this if it takes every ounce of energy that I have...I will find out your true secret!

Kay said...

I have to agree with Piglet26, I'd be a bit scared to get stuck somewhere with you and your mom for fear I wasn't wearing safety orange and you mistook for for something edible and shot me for dinner!
But I am full of fat and grisle and really bland tasting, so please, don't use me for target practice or stew for dinner!
I give up! (hands raised in air, begging and pleading!)

Unknown said...

You are my hero! Very cool pictures, esp. the one with you hold the gun... even if I am not suppose say that as a Canadian. :-)